May is National Burger Month but here at Mr. Kate, we celebrate it DIY Veggie Burger style! joey and i made these and froze them and we’ve been eating them nearly every day for the last week… they’re seriously the best veggie burgers i’ve ever had!
veggie burgers are a great meal because the patty is basically a meal-in-one! my favorite is heating up a burger in a skillet with olive oil and serving it over a salad with homemade vegan Thousand Island Dressing: mix vegan mayo, ketchup and sweet relish. so good!
make a big batch of these and freeze them for future meals.
Mr. Kate DIY Veggie Burgers (vegan and gluten free)
- 10 oz of cooked rice (or 1 package of pre-cooked frozen rice from Trader Joe’s)
- 17 oz cooked lentils (or 1 package of pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 jalapeno – chopped (optional)
- 1.5 cups of quick cook oats
- 1/2 can of black beans1/2 can of pinto beans
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of smokey seasoning (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- prep all of your ingredients. i.e. cook your rice, lentils and beans (if you’re not using pre-cooked canned, pre-steamed or frozen options) and chop your veggies. no need to pre-cook your oats, they’ll cook when you heat your finished patty.
- mix all your ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- finely mince your mixture in a food processor
- form pureed mixture into burger patties – make them whatever size you want. tip: moisten hands with water to avoid patty sticking to hands
- stack patties together with waxed or butcher paper in between each patty (so they don’t stick in fridge or freezer).
- freeze for future use.
- to cook/heat: thaw and heat on a grill (use a dollop of Earth Balance on top), in an oven or in a skillet with olive oil. eat like a burger or crumble on a salad!