Nine years ago, I bought a vintage suitcase that was retro-fitted with a mirror on the inside of the lid. I use it all the time in videos – see it in this Colorful Side Braid video and the recent Braided Sock Bun video – but it’s large and not practically portable. So, inspired by the idea of a vintage suitcase that also serves as a traveling vanity, we found this small hard-case, mini suitcase at the flea market for $10 and made it into a traveling vanity/cosmetic/make-up case, complete with large mirror and storage elastics, to take everywhere for your beauty needs!
- vintage suitcase or old hard case suitcase you have around
- scrap leather or cloth
- E-6000 glue
- Glass, Metal, and More permanent glue
- elastic band
- chalk or pen
- assess the interior of your suitcase and decide where to put the mirror and where to create a smooth surface to adhere the mirror – gently rip out inner layer, if needed, to create a smooth surface.
- use chalk or marker to outline scrap leather or cloth and cut out the shape
- apply E-6000 to scrap leather or cloth and cover any raw areas of the interior of the case – let dry
- apply glass, metal, and more glue to back of mirror and press and hold mirror where you want it to stick and let it dry
- cut piece(s) of elastic band to size for the interior of your case and glue down with E-6000 using your fingers as a spacer – keep in mind the amount of room you want to be able to fit all your cosmetics. **If your suitcase opens horizontally and you don’t need the elastics to keep things in place, try using dividers or pouches to keep your cosmetics safe and organized.
- insert makeup and brushes into place and your case is ready to travel the world!