Layla Asks: Hi Mr.Kate, summer is here and I have super long hair; do you have any tips for how to wear hair in the hot summer?
Hi Layla! Got sweaty hair? Don’t sweat it! Hot weather allows for fun up-dos, braids, and textured styles to carry you through the summer days and into the fall. I usually wear my hair down and crazy but sometimes I can’t deal with it sticking to my neck or in my face so, I throw it up in a messy up do, sock bun or Heidi Doody! Below are some long hair DOs that will keep your tresses tamed and/or off your neck…
- Head scarves keep hair out of your face and off your neck while also adding color and pattern to your ensemble. I love putting my hair up in a messy ponytail or bun and covering it up with a scarf wrapped as a turban or babushka.
- Try a creating the look of a Faux Bob haircut by using a scarf or bobby pins to disguise a low bun.
- Braids work well in the heat…the frizz adds to the whole bohemian vibe… see my braid tutorials and past braid DOs in Half Up Braid, DIY Colorful Fishtail Braid, Unicorn Braids, and Swiss Braids.
- A High Ponytail! Try braiding it, adding a bow or a strip of clip-on colored hair for some more style. Or you can hair chalk the tips for a multi-colored ponytail.
- Use one or a few barrettes or bobby pins to pull hair back from your face is a quick save when it’s feeling straggly… show off that face!
- If the summer heat adds frizz to your mane, check out this Beauty Bite with Mr. Kate to help calm the frizz.