Yaaaaaay, DIY Dorm Room Design Challenge! This is in response to the many of you that asked me to do a video and/or post on DIY dorm room design. We were able to decorate this dorm room at a real college but only had 45 minutes to implement the design and stick to all the dorm rules like no nails in the wall and no paint. I stuck to an Anthropologie-inspired style per Alecia’s wishes and used a lot of color to brighten the space. Watch the video above to see the full transformation and all the DIYs we plugged into the small room! The details of the individual projects are also listed below. So DIY your dorm room decor because…why not!?
So, most dorm rooms look like this…
But with a little DIY magic, your dorm can look like this!….
- DIY rosebud garland and photo display and paint sample wall art! Get the paint samples for free from the hardware store and use Glue Dots to stick them to the wall.
- The DIY Paper Feather Chain we attached without using nails etc. by putting a tension rod between the two walls and attaching strands of the paper feathers. Shop tension rods at places like Target, Kmart, Ross, etc. Also see Decorate with Serapes to add color, and Design Inspo: Faux Sheepskin to add fuzzy coziness like I did to the desk chairs in this dorm room.
- Use a DIY Jewelry Tree to organize your jewelry, hats and accessories and get more light with some DIY Faux Flower Lampshades or DIY Colorful Thrift Store Lamps. Bring in homey things like lamps and use things to bring height to the space that can also be functional like the jewelry tree!
- Textbooks covered in pretty paper and custom labels can make your textbooks a style statement.
- Can you spot the other DIYs? …I spy DIY Wire Wrapped Vases, DIY Rose Crown and DIY Instant Photo Frame Display.
And if all this wasn’t enough, watch me on this live news segment showing how we DIY’d this dorm room along with some fun DIY backpacks.