Holiday cookies, you’ve met your match.
One of the greatest traditions around this time of year is getting into the kitchen to bake something from the heart to share with everyone you celebrate with (and also to treat your-elf to, because #whynot?!)
This year, I made a Swedish recipe of saffron cupcakes with an orange coconut frosting. The saffron flavor gives the cupcakes beautiful coloring and such a tasty twist, while the citrusy orange pays homage to classic Christmas recipes.
I hope you enjoy!
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla powder (vanilla extract can be substituted)
1/2 cup butter
pinch of saffron
1/2 cup cream
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
handful coconut flakes
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 Tbsp orange juice
- Set the oven to 350° F
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla powder until fluffy.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt together the butter and saffron until liquid. Then, mix in the cream and continue to stir until combined.
- In another large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut flakes.
- Fold the butter mixture into the egg mixture, then fold in the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into cupcake tins, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes!
- To make the icing, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, and orange juice together until fully mixed into a frosting-like consistency. After frosting the cupcakes, dip into coconut flakes and top with a slice of orange peel!