Boring monotone bedroom

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Boring monotone bedroom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Levi Robinson
    Participant

Hello I’m Levi, my bedroom is painted white with wood floors and trim. I have a white desk and white shelf from ikea. I also have a grey lixhult cabinet from ikea (there is one stacked on top of the other so total there are four doors). I really want to have a nice looking room because my environment is very important but I struggle to find a balance between clean/put together vs. everything white and boring. I was thinking about giving the cabinet a make over and maybe spray painting it a fun yellow or maybe use some contact paper to give it a neat look. Do you have any ideas about the cabinet and tips for spray painting metal/any tips to get that Instagram chic room but still have more than boring white furniture.

love the videos and all your creative wierdo style

~Levi

Dream
      Participant

Hi! So I’m not Mr. Kate but I saw your comment and I wanted to help.
        I think that Instagram and Pinterest are great for finding inspiration, but your room is reflection of your personality so you shouldn’t copy too much.
        I also think that spray painting your cabinet yellow would really brighten up your room considering that the rest of the furniture is white. I also think that white walls can get kind of boring so doing a fun accent  wall or putting big peace of art with blue tones or (even better, purple) would be contrast to your yellow cabinet. When you tackle the big projects you can have fun with accessories (you can add a few plants, decorations or even some bigger peaces like an armchair… you can add some interesting light fixtures etc.) that are going to bring personality to your room. This is going to give you a bit playful and colorful look.
        For the second solution (where you spray paint/paint your cabinet metal) I think you kind of have to know what you’re doing because when spray painting (in general) you have to be careful not to get to close to the cabinet/object because you can get those weird dots of paint that are especially visible when spray painting with metal spray paint and dark spray paint, but in my opinion is that if you can find metal contact paper that would be cool (then just watch for the bubbles). If you want to paint your cabinet metal you can play with accessories from different metals and maybe paint/or put dark blue wallpaper with some geometric shapes. This is going to give you modern and industrial look.
        I hope I helped you and I hope that Mr. Kate will agree with me. I wish you best of luck and a fun project with a beautiful room as an outcome.
        Dream

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.