Buying a 1920s home- HELP!

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Buying a 1920s home- HELP!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rachael Ramirez
    Participant

Hello Mr. Kate,

My boyfriend and I of 7 years are finally in the process of purchasing our first home. It is a 1926 Bungalow in a Historic district of Florida. The home is only a little over 1,100 square feet, however it definitely has the charm. The house features a brick fire place, original hardwood floors, built-ins located in the dining room, original white cabinets, and finally a claw foot tub. I love the house but due to its small space I feel that I am going to have a difficult time styling the home. My boyfriend and I have slowly saved some home decor items but we do not have any large furniture yet. We love the rustic, industrial, farmhouse style but we still want to stay true to the  1920s bungalow home.

Since you and Joey bought your 1920s home I thought that you would be the perfect person to talk to about design and style opinions. Can you help?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I have previously posted this same topic in the DIY board but I figured that I would get more help in this board. Sorry if that makes things a little confusing.

Rachael Ramirez
      Participant

Outside of home

Rachael Ramirez
        Participant

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="640"]Home inspiration Our home on top<br />Home inspiration on bottom[/caption]

Mr. Kate
          Keymaster

Hi Rachael!

Congrats on your new home!! It’s beautiful!

It sounds like you have already seen OMG We Bought A House, but it might be worth a rewatch for general inspiration! Our recent kitchen makeover, especially, embodies the vintagey vibes you seem to be channeling in that pic!

As far as getting bigger furniture, I recommend thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales all the way! These are great places to pick up some key items without spending major money — especially items in the rustic, farmhouse style.

I think the living room you have is already looking good! The inspiration image you have features a lot of whites and wood tones, so maybe try painting those black shelves white and bringing in a wood table or some wood frames on the walls!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

XOXO,

Kate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.