My Balcony From Hell

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate My Balcony From Hell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mia Pinto
    Participant

Hey Mr. Kate! I’m renovating my balcony but my mother doesn’t want to change the green of the bench, chairs an table… I’m going to paint the fence and walls in white, and I am going to put a medium brown floor under the chairs and table, to separate that space from the rest of the balcony. My question is: How do I put together a colour pallette with that green? What colour should the decor be in?

Hello Mia – great idea separating spaces on your balcony!!!!!

Okay, so your colours are white, medium brown and green right now. I would add some pink  or/and yellow, grey, copper 🙂

if you put some pillows and blankets on the chairs and bench the green maybe doesn´t pop out any more. Or add poufs (creates cozyness) as another possibility to sit on… Perhaps your mom would accept a wooden board in shape of your table, which you can just lay on? Or some nice tablecloth 😉 Guess, by bringing attention to the balkony accessoires the green wouldn´t be so dominant.

Some ideas for your colour pallette… 🙂

Mia Pinto
      Participant

Oh my god! Thank you so much!!! You’re a genious!!!!

Mr. Kate
        Keymaster

Hey Mia!!

I love working on outdoor spaces!! Starting with painting the fence and walls white will give you a nice blank space to work with.

Instead of trying to combat the green of the furniture, try to find ways to incorporate it into the design! Green is, after all, the most commonly found color in nature, and you know my obsession with decorating with plants. You could put up a trellis with some bougainvillea or another vine-heavy plant (like roses!) for a more feminine, garden-esque vibe, or put some outdoor plants like cacti or succulents in plant stands (like I did for Joslyn!) and have those be a key design element!

Adding a nice outdoor carpet could be a good way to hide the brown of the floor if you don’t love it, or to bring in a more neutral or colorful (your decision!) vibe into the space. Also think about adding an outdoor stool, or some new, unique piece of furniture into the mix. It’s all about layering, so the green of the furniture doesn’t look like something you have to design around or overcome, but part of the plan initially!

I hope this helps!

XOXO,

Kate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.