White Rug or Nay?

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate White Rug or Nay?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

milenamcallister
    Participant

Hey Kate!

So I really love the ivory/white shag rug trend! I’ve even seen you use them for designing a space. It’s so luxurious and really brightens a room, but the real question is… is it worth the investment if it’s inevitably going to get grayish and gross within a year? What are some rug options for a living space with foot traffic and/or pets? Or how do you maintain lighter colored rugs?

Maybe this question seems silly, but I really am debating on buying a beautiful ivory rug or just picking a grey rug that I’m not as obsessed with.

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Hi Milenamcallister! Great question. I am personally VERY into the ivory shag rug trend, more specifically the Moroccan shag rugs that are now being sold all over. I’m pretty experienced with these types of rugs because I own 3 of them! I know, when I love something I go full on.

I always say that if you like something, you should get it! So my big answer to you is yes, get one. But I’ll go into more detail below to aid your decision making process.

The main thing you have to keep in mind with buying and rug is do you want synthetic or wool. Traditionally rugs are made from wool or silk (if they’re super fancy) but now a days there are a ton of synthetic options out there, including both synthetic and 100% wool options of the Moroccan shag style (I own both of these types as well).

The pros/cons of synthetic:
        Pros:
        Doesn’t shed
        Pets won’t be inclined to mark it since it doesn’t have any animal-esque scent.
        Cheaper (usually)
        Softer – if you think wool can be a little dense
        Cons:
        Not as durable to washing
        If it is colored/dyed in any way the dye lifts more easily
        Doesn’t have as long of a life as wool

The pros/cons of 100% wool:
        Pros:
        Easy to clean, you can use mild soaps etc. take to cleaner etc.
        Has a more high-quality look because of the natural fiber
        Nice and organic feeling underfoot
        Wears well, long life
        Cons:
        Sheds during the first month or so – you’ll need to vacuum more often
        Pets may be proned to marking it

So with all that said, I have a giant synthetic shag rug in our living room which I got because I didn’t want the cats to pee on it. It’s been great and is just slightly more off white on the high trafficked areas after 6 months plus. The rug is like this one: http://rstyle.me/n/bnvjtzhi9w
        I also have two 100% wool ones we use at the office – Like in the David Bromstad video. Which is this one with the braided fringe: http://rstyle.me/n/bnvjf5hi9w they are super cozy.

Hope that helps! Let us know which one you get!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.