yesterday we went to the pumpkin patch in Indiana with Joey’s family, including his insanely adorable little nephew Jonah. Joey picked a fresh pumpkin and brought it home to make a jack o’ lantern and a snack. if you don’t know the history and story behind Jack Of The Lantern, it’s a weird one, read it here. Joey salvaged the pumpkin seeds and toasted them to make the most delicious, spicy, salty, garlicy, toasted yums yums….
Spiced and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds a la Joey:
ingredients: plain pumpkin seeds (carve your pumpkin and wash off the slime from the seeds), sea salt, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning, olive oil (any other or different seasonings of your choice)
– preheat oven to 400 degrees
– put enough olive oil on a baking sheet or tin foil to grease plus some extra to coat the seeds
– lay the clean seeds on the greased area (it’s easier to clean them when they’re fresh out of the pumpkin before the guts dry and harden)
– sprinkle all the spices and seasonings (to your taste) over the seeds and toss with the oil to coat
– place baking sheet with seeds in the oven on the top rack and bake for 10 to 20 minutes until browned
let me know if you find, or have, any recipe you like using pumpkin seeds!