pasta salad or macaroni salad is sooo easy to make! it’s very nostalgic for me and reminds me of my childhood summers at the beach where we would have potluck lunches which inevitably and always included some kind of pasta salad. i recently re-interpreted the recipe to work for my plant-based, animal-product-free lifestyle.
i make a big batch of this and keep it in the fridge. it should last for around 4 days but never does cuz it’s so good!
what you’ll need:
1. package of brown rice pasta (i like elbows but any small pasta will do as long as it’s not spaghetti)
2. 1 cup Vegenaise (around, depends on how creamy you want it, add more or less for desired sauciness). i like the Follow Your Heart brand made with grapeseed oil.
3. 2 to 4 different crunchy chopped veggies and/or fruit. about 1/2 cup each: celery, red onion, chives, jicama, cucumber, olives, tomato, apples. chop them small
4. 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (kind of a must for that pasta salad taste)
5. 1 table spoon of dijon mustard (i like the spicy kind for a little kick)
6. salt, pepper, nutmeg(optional) to taste
– cook the pasta until it’s a little over-done. you want it floppy, not al dente.
– chill the cooked pasta in the fridge for about 20 mins
– dump in the chopped veggies/fruit, dill, vegenaise, and mustard and mix it all up
– salt and pepper to taste. i like a little nutmeg in mine, it sounds weird but it’s good! mix more and done!
store in a glass tupperware and enjoy whenever!