this recipe is so good and so easy and so good for you! i posted before about a vegan bolognese using the meatless meatballs but i think this recipe is better and way better for you than the processed soy that is in the meatless meatballs. the tempeh texture really lends itself to that ground meat texture.
Mr. Kate’s Tempeh Pasta Bolognese – vegan
time: 15 to 20 minutes – 1 pasta pot, 1 pan
serving size: one pot of pasta, serves 2 to 4
– 1 bag of brown rice or whole wheat pasta or spaghetti
– 1 package of tempeh (around 8 ounces) – i like Lightlife brand or Trader Joe’s has a good one too
– 3 carrots
– 2 stalks of celery
– 1 half white onion
– other veggies: cup of mushrooms, a few leaves of kale, etc.
– 1 jar of your favorite tomato pasta sauce
– a couple cloves of garlic (minced or pressed)
– olive oil for sauté and oregano, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
1. boil your pasta per packet instructions
2. chop all your veggies into small chunks (large leaf veggies like kale you can slice in larger pieces)
3. in a large frying/sauté pan heat a sploosh of olive oil over medium heat
4. add your onions, carrots and celery (and mushrooms) and sauté until the onions are translucent – salt to taste
5. add your garlic and leafy veggies and cook until wilted
6. crumble the tempeh to mimic a ground meat texture and add it to the pan – it’s already cooked so just heat it up
7. add your spices and your jar of tomato sauce
mix it with your freshly cooked pasta or put it over top and enjoy!