we made this vegan Maple Macadamia Nut and Coconut Brittle to send to the moms for Mother’s Day – it was so so so good. i adapted it from this recipe and made it lower glycemic with the maple sugar instead of cane sugar…
Mr. Kate Maple Mom Brittle Recipe (vegan)
ingredients (makes 1 pan):
2 cups of maple sugar
1/4 cup of coconut milk
1/4 cup of agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/4 cup unsalted and chopped macadamia nuts
1/4 cup shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
1. assemble your ingredients and preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F) (177C)
2. spread your coconut and macadamia nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for roughly 10 minutes. remove the nuts and coconuts, turn the oven off but keep the empty tray in the oven to keep it warm for easier spreading of the brittle later
3. in a medium saucepan, add the maple sugar, coconut milk, agave syrup, salt and stir it together. fill a large bowl, that’s bigger than your saucepan, with ice water. this bowl of ice water serves two purposes, it will also be used to cool the hot saucepan after your caramel reaches 325F (163C). bring the sugar mixture to a boil on high heat, covered, then remove cover. stir in the coconut oil and reduce heat to a simmer. do not stir the mixture because natural convection currents will do the stirring for you.
– insert a candy thermometer and bring the mixture up to 300F (149C). reduce heat to medium. after 300F (149C) the temperature will rise rapidly. once the mixture reaches 325F (163C), remove it from heat and dip the saucepan into the ice water for about 10 seconds to stop the caramelization process.
4. stir in the macadamia nuts and shredded coconut with a wooden spoon. pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it with a spatula until it’s ¼ inch thick (i lined my baking sheet with parchment paper which i oiled with a little coconut oil. allow the mixture to cool completely before breaking the brittle into small pieces.
view the recipe card for print here
we wrapped each piece of brittle individually in parchment paper and tied them in stacks of three with orange ribbon – we included a card in each mom package that had the ingredients listed and some loving words for our special mommas!
adapted from a veganbaking.net recipe