Share

the backpack bed

Share

a non-profit organization in Australia has designed the Backpack Bed, as a reaction to the increasing homeless population in their homeland.  Tony Clark is the head of  Swags for the Homeless – transforming a backpack to a full size waterproof bed within minutes.  there is a foam mattress inside that measures 6’2” in length. the charity designed it with help from hikers, mountaineers and backpackers to make sure that it is functional.

according to statistics, over 16,000 people have to sleep on the streets in Australia every night.  the problem of providing shelter for these people has not been addressed like it should be – and these backpacks are definitely a huge step in the right direction.  the non-profit is selling the backpacks with the same approach that TOMS shoes uses – for every backpack sold, one will be given to a person in need.  98% of the profits (the other 2% goes to cost of production) go right back to helping the homeless.
the bed comes with a floor covering to protect users from a cold or wet floor.  the bed weighs about 8lbs….. even I could carry this around! The Backpack Bed won the “Best of the Best” award at the 2011 Red Dot, which examines the best designed products.  basically, this product can be a great help to not only hikers, but people in need – so cool!
– smiley

Comments

Add comment

E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the Login form or enter another.

You entered an incorrect username or password

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.