this is realllly good! i love myself a nice _____salad sandwich, i used to eat tuna salad sandwiches all the time but now that i eat a pretty much plant-based (vegan) diet, this Thempeh “Tuna” Salad (vegan) is a superb stand-in. the day i made this recipe i didn’t have celery or red onion, but both would make a great addition if you like a little more bite! eat it in a sandwich, on crackers, in a salad, etc! Tempeh is healthy – read more about it here!
Tempeh “Tuna” Salad (vegan)
What You Need:
- package of tempeh – i like the Turtle Island Foods tempeh because they have the five grain which has other grains and seeds. Trader Joe’s has a nice tempeh too!
- 3/4 cup or so of finely chopped carrots
- two tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- two tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayo more or less depending on how creamy you want it – i like Follow Your Heart brand the best
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- optional: celery, red onion chopped
- salt and pepper
- if you have a small food processor that will make your life a lot easier – otherwise work those arm muscles and chop all your veggies and herbs. i finely minced my carrots in the food processor so they created almost a paste that made the tempeh salad that much more smear-able.
- with your clean hands, crumble up your tempeh into nice small chunks.
- mix your chopped veggies, herbs, capers and mayo all together in a mixing bowl and salt and pepper to taste.
- spread on some nice sprouted grain bread with a little mustard, lettuce and tomato or eat it on crackers or in a salad! yummmmmz