this recipe is seriously sooooo good. it’s the vegan twist on my Granny and my Dad’s SECRET mashed potatoes recipe that will change your life…believe dat!
this is an amazing side dish for any thanksgiving or holiday meal.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Vegan)
What You Need:
- a couple pounds of red, gold or russet potatoes (this will make a big batch, perfect for leftovers!)
- head of garlic
- half cup of vegan cream cheese – Tofutti or Follow Your Heart are good brands (secret part, shhhh, don’t tell!)
- tablespoon or more of Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream – Tofutti or Follow Your Heart
- a sploosh or more of unsweetened almond, soy or rice milk
- salt and pepper
- fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees to roast the garlic and start a pot of water to boil for your potatoes
- prep the garlic by slicing the tips off the cloves and drizzle the whole head with olive oil – roast in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the cloves are soft when pressed.
- peel your russet potatoes or leave the skin on your red potatoes if you like a little extra roughage and put them in the water to boil until soft – around 20 to 25 minutes – they should be easily stuck with a fork.
- put your cooked, soft potatoes in a big mixing bowl with all of your goodies: Earth Balance, cream cheese, sour cream, sprinkle of salt and pepper and a sploosh of almond milk to make for a more silky consistency and mash away!**keep tasting as you go, you may want to add more cream cheese, butter or almond milk etc. for a creamier taste and texture. ***the sour cream adds a nice tang, so if you feel it needs more tang, add more sour cream baby!
- add all of the cloves from the whole head of freshly roasted garlic and mash that in too!
- serve with a garnish of fresh chives or next day, re-heat the leftovers for a nice cozy snack on the couch! make an extra head of garlic to spread on bread!..mmmmm, no vampires!