the first installment of a DIY video series coming your way this December: Mr. Kate’s 12 DIYs of the holidays! …or as i like to call it ChrismaHanukkahKwanzaaSolstice! i’ll be churning these DIY videos out so keep checking back to get ideas on decor, food, gifts and more!
this first DIY is for a wreath which i made really easily out of wire, burlap and pine cones. i’m going for a neon holiday this year and injecting that neon green in all of my decor – but of course, interpret it for yourself and pick your own color!
Holiday DIY #1: Burlap, Neon Pine Cone Wreath
What You Need:
- wire – strong but flexible – i got mine from the crafts store. or you could use a pre-made wreath form.
- strip of burlap roughly 6 inches wide and 3 yards long
- pine cones (around 3 to 5)
- white spray paint primer
- neon color of your choice
- hot glue
- create a wreath shape with your wire. wrap the wire around itself to create a hoop.
- add a second piece of wire that ‘s’ curves back and forth around your wreath – secure each ‘s’ loop by wrapping the wire once around the base wire before moving on to the next curve. you’re creating a wider surface area to glue your burlap.
- using your hot glue gun, glue your burlap in a rippling way to your wreath skeleton. trim the stray threads.
- prep your pine cones with white primer, wait for it to dry then spray with the color of your choice.
- glue your ribbon to your wreath
- glue your pine cones to your wreath.
- done! you can hang your wreath by using one of the ‘s’ loops around a nail or lay it flat on a table as a center piece wreath!