hi, it’s Kailea! with all this holiday talk i wanted to post a small re-cap of my mom’s infamous Hungarian Kiefles (aka cookies) that she makes every year for thanksgiving day but they make yummy holiday cookies too!!
what you will need:
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/4 lb. butter (a great vegan alternative is earth balance)
1/4 cup cream cheese (vegan alternative: vegan cream cheese from Galaxy Nutritional Foods. can be found at Whole Foods)
optional between the two:
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cups of water
fruit filling (jelly is a great supplement to making your own fruit filling)
1. to prepare the dough, mix all ingredients together and roll into small balls (approximately 25) and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
2. the following day: preheat the oven to 350 degrees
3. roll out the small balls into flat little saucers
4. to make the walnut filling, combine walnuts, sugar and water together into a small mixing bowl into consistency is pretty dense
5. use teaspoon size amounts of the filling and place onto the small saucer-like size pieces of dough
6. roll the dough to cover the filling, leaving the ends open for ventilation
7. place on an un-greased cookie sheet and cook for 25 minutes.
8. take out of the oven and viola! Hungarian Kiefles!