Mr. Kate’s Not So Pretty But Very Tasty Vegan and Gluten Free Noodle Casserole
What You Need:
- package of gluten free noodles – i used the corn spaghetti from Trader Joe’s
- jar of sauerkraut
- 1.5 cups of chopped collard greens – or kale would work too.
- 1 sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1 chopped white onion
- 3 slices of gluten free bread – toasted
- half can of organic red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon of veganaise
- 1 sprinkle of caraway seeds
- 1 sprinkle of oregano
- olive oil
- a couple tablespoons of veganaise
- 1 or so tablespoon of ketchup
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- cook 3/4 of your package of noodles per the instructions on the package. i broke up the spaghetti into shorter lengths to be more like noodles. you can leave it slightly al dente since they will cook more when in the casserole.
- in a big pan with some olive oil, saute your onions and sliced bell pepper until soft, then add your collard greens.
- once the greens are soft, add your sauerkraut, salt and pepper to taste and a sprinkle of oregano and caraway seeds. mix together.
- break up 2 of your toasted slices of bread into chunks and mix them into the veggie sauerkraut mixture – these will soak up some of the tasty juices and bulk up the casserole.
- turn off your heat and mix in your cooked noodles, kidney beans, mustard and mayo and some more olive oil. then put the mixture into a large casserole dish.
- lay chunks from your 3rd piece of toasted bread on the top and garnish with dollops of veganaise, a sprinkle of caraway and a drizzle of olive oil. pop in the oven for 15 minutes.
- while it’s baking, make your sauce by combining more veganaise and ketchup, you could get fancy and add relish… ooo fancy!
- once the bread on top of your casserole is nice and toasted, remove from oven, cool and serve with a drizzle of your fancy sauce! yuuuum!!!