for breakfast on the weekdays, i usually just eat a piece of sprouted grain toast with Earth Balance and fruit-juice-sweetened jam… but on the weekends, we indulge, easy, healthy, vegan style!
waffles and tempeh bacon is our usual go-to quick, yet indulgent, breakfast on a saturday or sunday. i’ve recently dusted off my juicer and this past weekend we had fresh, organic, carrot, apple, lemon juice with our Trader Joe’s Gluten Free toaster waffles smothered in syrup… a little yin and yang!
What You Need
- vegan and/or gluten free waffles – they have them at Trader Joes or Whole Foods in the freezer section
- Lightlife tempeh bacon – get it at Whole Foods or health food stores
- Earth Balance – buttery spread (TJ’s or Whole Foods)
- 100% maple syrup
- 4 organic carrots
- 2 organic apples
- 1 organic lemon
- juicer… i got mine off Amazon
- toast your waffles in the toaster and smother them with Earth Balance and syrup
- pan fry your tempeh bacon in some canola oil or a dollop of earth balance in a frying pan… just heat it up, it’s already cooked. you can make it crispy by letting it fry on higher heat.
- juice your carrots, apples and lemon in the juicer. maybe you’re not supposed to put a whole lemon in the juicer but i do…oops!
enjoy! and know that even though it tastes indulgent, it’s really not in the scheme of things.