i made these fun upcycled, 3D, decorative, jeweled letters with my new hot mess friend DIY Sock Puppet…she’s irate about DIYing! sheesh, she’s craaaaazy! …PS. i had to kill her off because doing her voice makes me hoarse.
these make really fun decorative home accessories and it’s a great way to recycle (up-cycle) your old or broken jewelry! i think they would make great gifts too!
if you’re not into the bejeweled look, you could just leave your letter in the fabric covered mode…. i love how this looks too!
- foam core board
- utility knife (box cutter)
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- assorted old, thrifted or broken jewelry (chain, brooches, earrings, buttons, beads etc.)
- cutting board
- draw the shape of your letter on your foam core using your ruler and marker.
- carefully cut it out on your cutting board with your utility knife – don’t worry if it looks messy, you’re going to cover it with fabric.
- trace the shape of your first letter on another area of foam core and cut out another letter shape to match the first one.
- hot glue the two letter shapes together making a nice fat letter – you may want to add a third one if your foam core is thin.
- cut a piece of fabric with ample room to cover your letter shape. wrap it like a present and glue it in place. trim any access.
- go glue and jewel crazy with all your bling pieces! there is no method, just encrust it! the more the merrier!
- poke a hole in the foam core in the back of the letter with your utility knife so you can hang your letter on the wall with one nail, otherwise you can just prop it on a dresser, use it as a centerpiece, etc!