these are a twist on the Decoden Phone Cases i did in this video tutorial. i interpreted the technique to decorate frames because i thought this would be a fun personalized gift a kid could make for their dad on Father’s Day! you can use white silicone and girly doo-dads if you’re a girl, or black silicone and toy soldiers, cars, sports stuff, etc. if you want to make it more boyish.
- plain frame – get them cheap from thrift stores or bargain stores
- a tube of 100% silicone caulking – if you get the industrial sized large tube also get a caulking gun so you can easily dispense it.
- a cake frosting tip – i like the star tip – this is optional because you could just layer it on and spread it with a pencil or chopstick like it did in this video.
- duct tape – to tape your frosting tip to your tube
- various decorative or kawaii (‘cute’ in Japanese) pieces to decorate your frames! i love the ones off Etsy or they also sell them on Ebay. for the boyish embellishments, just check out the toy section at Kmart or the drug store for: toy cars, toy soldier, leggos, sports stuff, etc.
- pointy instrument
i highly recommend watching this video tutorial so you can see how i decorated the phone cases, which is the same technique i used for this project.
- prep your tube of silicone by snipping the tip and puncturing the inner foil layer with your pointy instrument.
- tape your frosting tip over the tip of the silicone and use duct tape to hold it in place.
- if you’re using an industrial tube of silicone, use a caulking gun to dispense the silicone from the container.
- in a well ventilated area, go to town on your frame making it look like it’s totally frosted with silicone. **if you’re doing this with kids, make sure they know NOT to put the silicone in their mouths.
- place all your decorations on your wet silicone frosting wherever you’d like.
- dries in about 3 hours!