i created this dish the other day because i wanted to make a grain salad that i could keep in the fridge and bring as a packed lunch during my busy days on set of Home Made Simple (season premiere coming soon!). i love the combo of salty and sweet with a little crunch of texture from the pomegranate seeds. the dressing is fresh and not overpowering. this is a tasty and healthy complete meal (grain and beans form complete protein) – plus it’s vegan and gluten free!
make a big batch of this and you’ll have a healthy lunch/snack for days!
Mr. Kate’s Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Lemon Dressing – vegan and gluten free
- 1 16 oz back of brown rice medley – could use just brown rice but i like the medley for more variety and color.
- 1 cup of pre-cooked edamame
- half a can of strained and rinsed organic garbanzo beans
- two cups of arugula
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of honey or raw agave
- 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
- cook your rice per the instructions on the package – usually 2.5 cups of water per 1 cup of rice, bring water to boil, add rinsed rice, bring down to simmer and cover for 30 to 40 minutes until desired rice texture is achieved – strain remaining water from rice if necessary. let your rice cool in the fridge – you don’t want a warm salad!
- add all your other salad ingredients to a big salad bowl with the chilled rice and mix.
- mix together your dressing ingredients (lemon juice, agave, etc.) in a small bowl using a fork or wisk.
- drizzle the dressing over the top of the rice salad and toss to perfection. add salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- store in a glass container in the fridge for up to 4 days.