i made this pasta the other night with veggies i bought at the farmer’s market and it was so fresh and delicious. the kalamata olives and capers bring saltyness so you don’t even need parmesan. the fresh basil and sauteed garlic and tomatoes complete the Italian moment – oh, and i threw in some kale for extra nutrition and greenery!
Brown Rice Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic, Fresh Basil and Capers – gluten free and vegan
- 1 package of brown rice pasta
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes – sliced in half
- 2 0r 3 leaves of kale – roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 3/4 cup of fresh basil leaves – torn, not chopped
- tablespoon or more of capers
- half cup or more of kalamata olives cut in half
- olive oil
- sea salt
- cook your pasta per the instructions on the package – usually 7 to 10 minutes – make sure it’s al dente and not over-cooked! season the water with sea salt.
- in a pan, saute your tomatoes and kale first in a sploosh of olive oil over medium/low. once they’re soft, add your kalamatas and capers, saute for another couple minutes.
- last, add your garlic and basil leaves, you don’t want your garlic to brown, you want it to just cook a little in the warm juices and oil – about 2 minutes. you basil leaves should wilt but not get too over-cooked because they lose their potency.
- strain your pasta and drizzle with olive oil to make it not sticky.
- mix your pasta with your sauce and garnish with a little more sea salt and some un-cooked basil leaves.