that picture above is exactly what went into my belly. well mostly joey’s belly. we were sitting on the couch the other night watching homeland (so good), when boom…SWEET TOOTH CRAVING!! fortunately joey’s always up to any challenge, be it building a deck to baking vegan cookies. these little bad girls were delicious (did i mention they are vegan)! couldn’t have gotten better in the store. the recipe is as follows:
- 2 cups of flour (we used plain ol’ unbleached white flour)
- 1 cup of maple sugar (you can get this at whole foods. some grocery stores don’t carry it because it’s a little more fancy than regular sugar.)
- 1/2 a cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda (yes baking soda and not baking powder. baking powder is probably the more appropriate ingredient, but in lieu of having any we used baking soda and it worked great!)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- a couple of tablespoons of earth balance (butter substitute in the vegan section at your grocery store).
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or whatever you want in the cookie.
- a couple tablespoons of water
- and a couple pinches of salt
- mix that all together with your hands in a mixing bowl, until you get to that cookie dough consistency your mom used to make. roll up balls of the cookie dough (1 generous tablespoon each) and place on an oiled cookie sheet.
- put your oven at around 375 degrees and pop them in for about 10-12 minutes or until nice and browned (but not burnt on the bottoms).
- and voila…sweet tooth craving no more!
have a great weekend and send me your pics of the cookies you make.