i was honored when FOAM magazine asked me to do a jewelry DIY for their blogger issue. i love getting inspiration for jewelry pieces from many different places, including the hardware store! drain covers have a really great shape and texture to them and they’re also lightweight. so with the addition of some cotter pins (also from the hardware store) i came up with this statement necklace DIY that looks kind of like a dreamcatcher! you could interpret this design your own way and spray it with any color.
pick up your issue of Foam magazine on newsstands now!
- Metal drain cover (hardware store)
- Two different sizes of cotter pins (hardware store)
- Spray paint primer
- Metallic spray paint (I used a copper/rose gold color)
- Chain (bead store or online like Etsy)
- Open jump rings (bead store or Etsy)
- Clasp (bead store or Etsy)
- Wire cutters
- Spray your drain cover, cotter pins and jump rings with primer and let dry. This will help the spray paint adhere to the metal.
- Spray your drain cover, cotter pins and jump rings with your spray paint color and let dry.
- Attach the cotter pins to the drain cover holes in alternating sizes using a jump ring for each. Use the pliers to open and close the jump rings.
- Trim your chain to the desired length – I did 22″ and attach each end to the drain cover at the top using two more jump rings.
- Find the middle of the chain at the top of your necklace, directly opposite from the pendant and cut again to create a space for the clasp. Attach the clasp using a jump ring to one end and another jump ring to the other for closure.
- shirt: Zara
- jeans: Topshop
- shoes: Senso
- all other jewelry: Mr. Kate