Julia asks: Hi Mr. Kate! So I’m currently in high school and our school has lots of yummy lunch options, but unfortunately few are healthy, vegetarian, and buying lunch gets pretty expensive. I keep seeing all this delicious food on your blog, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on a school lunch that’s delicious, vegetarian and easily transportable. Thank you so much!
My Answer: Hi Julia! Packing a lunch is a great idea whether you’re a student or working in an office, etc. It forces you to make healthy choices before you are so starving and opt for the pizza and it saves you money! Here are some of my favorite recipes that I think are well suited for a healthy, packed lunch. I hope you find some you like!
If you just don’t have time to pack a lunch, see this post where I talk all about Healthy Ways to Order at Restaurants so you can still eat healthy while you’re eating out.
- Easy wrap recipe – wraps are so versatile. I like to cram whatever I have in the fridge inside a healthy tortilla with a yummy sauce or spread and it’s ready to go!
- Tempeh and lotus root salad with miso dressing. Salads are great in a to-go container. I think putting your dressing in a separate small container is better so the lettuce doesn’t get too soggy before you’re ready to eat it.
- BLTofurky sandwich or the Tempeh “tuna” Salad Sandwich are two yummy and healthy packable options. You can make the “tuna” salad in a large batch and have it for more than one day!
- This Quinoa Tabbouleh is a great gluten free option that travels well in a to-go container.
Of course you also want to pack your lunch in something fun and stylish…
Or DIY your own lunch box!…
- DIY decoupage lunchbox by Damask Love