As the holidays approach, I’m sure you will be invited to various social gatherings, usually taking place at someone’s home. It’s always nice to show up with something to give the host or hostess (many times I’m caught in a pinch and only have time to grab a bottle of wine off the rack)…Buuut, a handmade gift, like the ones in the round-up below, are some of my favorite DIY host/hostess gifts that are inexpensive and easy to make in batches so you can have one ready and waiting when you’re rushing off to a holiday soiree. These are sure to be more meaningful than an unwrapped bottle of Trader Joe’s wine (guilty as charged).
- I love this idea of gifting a potted herb as a host(ess) gift! It will smell great and provide seasoning for whatever delicious dish they’re cooking up. DIY-wrap-it in some burlap, yarn and a cute tag like Precious Sister did and it will be the perfect inexpensive but considerate (it’s the thought that counts) gift!
- DIY Hand-painted dish towels from The Neighbor are a cute and useful hostess gift. Make a batch of these for stocking stuffers too!
- Speaking of herbs, I love the idea of gifting a bottle of DIY flavored olive oil. You can make batches of these in cool bottles and tie a ribbon or tag around. Flavor with various things like garlic, chiles, herbs, etc. See how Miss Buttercup made her own rosemary flavored olive oil. These flavored oils are great for cooking or simply dunking a nice piece of fresh bread!
- Pumpkins are still around for Thanksgiving… duuuh, pumpkin pie! And they make the perfect containers for a flower arrangement. See how Wine and Glue created this adorable gift arrangement that I’m sure will charm any host(ess)
- Another painting project but this time on wooden spoons! My So Called Crafty Life made these awesome, neon striped spoons using food-grade shellac. You know how I love neon, any time of year, see Decorating With Neon.
- Napkin rings are always cute at a party so whip up a set of these DIY Chalkboard Napkin rings from Green With Envy so you’re host/hostess can ensure no one blows their nose in someone else’s napkin!
If you’re not into making something, I like Salt and Pepper Shakers for a fun, store-bought hostess gift.