Anonymous Asks: How would you design an attic room? I have low cellings on one side of the room and I have no idea what to put there! Please help. Thank you!!
Samantha Asks: How to make a small room look bigger?
My Answer: Hi! I get asked these kinds of questions a lot! It can be difficult to design in a small space without it looking cluttered but definitely not impossible and also quite fun! Check out my tips below and the inspiration images above and then get ideas on how to make your design a reality by watching Come Shop Interior Decor with Me!
Design/Decorating/Organizing Tips in Attic, Oddly-shaped and Small Spaces:
- Embrace closed storage like wardrobes, closets, chests or drawers, etc, they are your new best friends because you can get clutter behind doors.
- Built in shelves are another great way to maximize your space, think vertically with your storage since you don’t have a lot of floor space.
- Don’t be shy of pattern on the walls, especially in attics wallpaper or some fun writing or pattern can make a statement out of the slanted ceilings or little nooks and crannys – see a lot of inspiration images anove.
- Lighting! Pendants lights, chandeliers and lamps are key to bring ample light to your small or oddly shaped space. Light always makes a space appear larger. Hanging lights also help designate different areas of a room.
- If you can paint in your space, think about painting the ceiling and beams white to make the ceiling appear higher. Patterns on walls that meet a white ceiling also give the illusion of height.
For more small space inspiration check out: ‘Organizing and Decorating a Small Space‘