Sometimes a girl just wants to be a fairy princess. Unfortunately, outside of Halloween, and some *special* parties in Los Angeles, this wish typically goes unfulfilled. I doubt fairies have meetings and vet appointments to go to, after all. Glitter wings just aren’t acceptable (or practical) everywhere.
Fortunately, there is a way to DIY your life (and hair accessories) to a much more magical place with this Crystal Crown. Inspired a little by festival season, a little by Stevie Nicks, and a lot by my inner fairy, I took some simple supplies and wove them into an ethereal, bohemian piece of headwear perfect for almost any situation … meetings and vet appointments, included.
Check out the video above and the step-by-step instructions below for the full DIY details!
Thick gold wire
Thin gold wire
Pliers/ wire cutters
- Start out by measuring the thick wire around your head, leaving about 4 extra inches on the end to create the clasp.
- Bend one end of your thick gold wire into a 3/4 – 1 inch loop. Repeat this process with the other end of the wire, then pinch this loop to make it a little more narrow. Use your pliers to bend the tip of the pinched loop into a hook, which can be fastened through the larger loop to make a clasp! Try your headpiece back on after this step to make sure it fits before moving on.
- Plan the placement of your crystals on the headpiece. Do you want them all across? In sections? Criss-crossed? This is where you get to be creative, so make your crown entirely your own!
- Cut about 2 feet of thin gold wire. Place the first (and I recommend center) crystal where you’d like it on the crown and start wrapping the thin wire around it, making sure to intertwine it with the thick wire as well so it is both secure and has the pretty effect of the woven wire. Once your first crystal is set, place the second crystal as close to it as possible and use the excess thin gold wire to repeat the wrapping, intertwining, and securing process.
- When you run out of this piece of thin gold wire, just secure the end of the first wire by wrapping it around the larger wire in a tight coil and then start a new length of wire in the same way.
- Once you’re completely done adding the crystals, flip the crown over and dab some E6000 glue to the back of each crystal, to secure the wire further and add some padding between it and your forehead. Let dry, then put on for immediate effects of feeling like a fairy princess!