Last year, I packaged my personalized gifts into sweet silver buckets, but it’s 2016 baby! Time to put a lid on that concept (literally!)
These DIY Photo Boxes are the perfect template for any gift you want to give this season. Mine is an invitation for a spa and pizza (as represented by the Pizza Necklace) day with my sister, but yours could house a gift card, a piece of jewelry, or any other sweet sentiment that you want to build a story around. Your friend or loved one will be so excited to see all the thought and love that went into packaging their gift, plus they get a cool stained box to keep around their home! Talk about sustainable!
Check out the video for this Photo Box above, and read the steps below.
- Start by staining your wood box, working from the inside out. I liked a cherry stain, but you can choose the stain that works best with your theme/ recipient!
- Once your stain has dried, choose a word that encapsulates the gift and sketch it out on the top of the box. Using white acrylic paint and a tapered paintbrush (kind of like a calligraphy pen!), paint out your chosen word.
- Choose some photos of important, fun, or favorite memories between you and the person you’re giving your gift to and print them out. Use a pretty ribbon to tie up the stack of pictures!
- Lay a folded piece of gold tissue paper at the bottom of the box, then layer in some moss to make a bed for your gifts.
- Add your photos to the box, then fill in the rest of the space with other personalized or themed gifts like handmade soaps or the Mr. Kate Pizza Necklace!
- Fill in the rest of the box with small trinkets or decorative accents, top it all off with a sweet note, either handwritten or printed, slide the lid back on, add a bow (if you’d like) and you’re all set! Happy giving!