If you’re lucky enough to have a window with a solid surface beneath it, there’s no reason you shouldn’t make that space into cozy, scenic seating! Why let books or decorative accents steal your view? All you need to do is measure the space and whip up a pretty simple DIY cushion, add in some throw pillows and a cozy blanket, and you’ve got the window seat of … pretty much everyone’s dreams! See this project in action in this video!
If you don’t have a convenient space to place a cushion, you can follow this same tutorial, except with a thicker board, and add hairpin legs to make your own bench! Check out this DIY Tufted Bench tutorial also for step-by-step instructions on that project!
- Measure the area in which you are going to place your finished cushion. Take those measurements to the hardware store and fabric store to have the wood, foam, and fabric cut to size. The wood and foam should be exactly the size of the space, but the fabric should be few good inches larger on every side.
- When you’re ready to build the bench, start by spraying the adhesive on one side of your foam and placing it on top of the wood board. Give it a second to dry and make sure it’s all good and attached!
- Cut your batting to about the same size as your fabric and place underneath the bench (with the foam side down and the board side up!) Wrap the batting around the bench and staple into place with a staple gun. You don’t want bunchy corners, so either fold the batting at the corners or cut some of the excess out.
- Repeat step 3 with the fabric, except folding over the edges on the bottom of the bench so they have a nice finished hem before stapling. When it comes to the corners with the fabric, I recommend folding instead of cutting!
- You’re done! Place the bench into your window seat and enjoy your DIY seating area!