Reply To: dinning+living room space

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate dinning+living room space Reply To: dinning+living room space

Mr. Kate
Keymaster

Hi Lymarie!!

Congrats on moving into your new apartment! It’s so cool that you study interior design, I’m sure your place is going to look amazing!

This open living/ dining room area reminds me a lot of layout of Katie & Tom’s apartment that we made over for OMG We’re Coming Over! They had a large, dark sofa like the one you pictured, and needed to find a way to make one open room serve two different functions.

I think a rug under the sofa area will really help section it off and make it its own complete concept. Add on a coffee table (maybe one made of glass to counter the darkness of the sofa) to tie that area together in a way that is inviting and functional.

A bar table is a great choice for an apartment where you don’t have a set-apart space for a dining room. They’re tall, but usually not too large, so they don’t take up more space than is available. A design trick I would recommend (and also one I used in Katie & Tom’s place) is to not get matching chairs! Instead of getting a table and chair set like in the picture you uploaded, bring some color and style into the space with different chairs — maybe even choose two styles and mix and match them!

I hope this helps!! Please feel free to ask any more questions!!

Much love –

Kate