Antique Wash Stand Makeover Ideas

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Antique Wash Stand Makeover Ideas

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mammadimaya
    Participant

Hi Mr. Kate,

First up: Thanks for being such an inspiration. Thanks to you I’m taking on a lot of DIY projects for our new apartment.

So, we got this gorgeous antique solid oak wash stand with a marble top from my husbands great-grandfather and I love it – except for the tiles that simply don’t fit my color palatte (mostly white and grey with a rustic brick-red wardrobe). We want to put it in our bedroom by the way, not in a bathroom.

Any ideas on what to do with it?

Diana Welch
      Participant

I love antique-inspired decorations. Everything is getting modernized now, but I would still prefer to use antique designs because it somehow generates good vibes.
        I would suggest mixing antique style and period if you’re still unsure on what design to follow.

Mr. Kate
        Keymaster

Hey!

Thanks for posting! That’s such a unique piece!

I can see how the tiles are a little bit of a color mismatch with the design style you mentioned. First option — can they be removed? If there is a way to remove the tiles from the stand, you could easily install new ones that fit your color palette.

If not, I would see if there is contact paper or even specifically tile-shaped contact paper that you could cover each tile with. This plan is contingent on the tiles being smooth and not textured, which is a little hard to tell from the picture!

The third option is always to just paint them, though I would try one of the first two approaches first! No matter what you do, if you decorate the stand in front of the tile with a nice plant or some art, not too much notice will go to the tiles behind!

Hope this helps!

Mr. Kate & Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.