Don’t Know How To Decorate My New Room

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Don’t Know How To Decorate My New Room

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nikki Thao
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I am finally getting my own room and is currently still in the process of repainting and installing a new lighting fixture. My walls are just white along with the built in desk in the corner of my room. I just need to touch up the ceiling and install new lights but I don’t know how I’m going to decorate it. I’ve gotten used to living in a small space with my sister so I don’t know how to fill up all the empty space. I’m a high school student who enjoys writing and photography. I also enjoy listening to BTS and dance whenever I can. Could you give me any tips on how I could decorate my new room?</p>

Kate Given
      Participant

I know I’m not the Mr. Kate you’re looking for, but I think I have some advice. As a fellow dancer and K-pop lover, I understand your predicament. A lot of the time, the transition from a small space to a whole room to yourself is really hard to swallow. At first, it seems great, but there’s so much room to fill that you wonder how much negative space is borderline too much negative space.

My advice is to first figure out what your style is. Whether it be boho, minimalist, mid-century modern, glam, or, heck, even whimsical, you need a defined sense of aesthetic. If you don’t know what your aesthetic could be, you can always take the “What’s My Aesthetic?” Mr. Kate quiz. 😉

Sounds like all you really have going are some white walls, a white desk, a light fixture, and a bed. Sounds familiar. Most people go through this stage when they’re decorating.

First, color scheme. No matter your style, you always want a color scheme. Take BTS. You probably know that their merch usually uses black with pink and blue accents (and rose designs). Now, in my opinion, that’s a pretty darned good color scheme.

Using that, I would say to spraypaint your bed frame black and buy white sheets. Why? Because it’s subtle. And it’s great. Trust me on that one. Then, toss out half of those white sheets and only use the fitted ones. You’re gonna need to buy yourself an aesthetic blanket, namely ombre pink-blue, in True BTS fashion. You also want lots of throw pillows (yes, you do), and, again, pink, purple, and blue are going to give you that aestheticly pleasing vibe.

To go with that bed, I’d also recommend getting a second desk, just to balance things out. You could place them on either side of your bed. And, I’d spraypaint them both black. Feel free to decorate these desks however your heart desires (maybe one for schoolwork and one for makeup?).

And – how can we forget – a #rugcuddle rug! To go with your aesthetic, I’d recommend either a really minimalist pale blue rug, a glam pale pink, pale blue ombre, or a boho pink rug with black designs.

With your white walls, you have a lot of space to work with. In true high school fangirl fashion, BTS posters and minimalist shots (of the photographs you take, maybe?) would be good to decorate the walls, filling up some of that empty space.

I hope I helped!

Kary Keegan
        Participant

We have been in our house about two years and I would love to start painting certain rooms/areas to make our house escape all the cream colored walls. I have no idea where to begin so my house does not look over done with two many colors. I am terrified of over painting and painting the wrong colors. I have dark cabinets/wood and dark wood floors.

SonyBony Davis
          Participant

Hey there,

You could try out a few things that I have done to ensure natural light coming in my apartment.

Think Curtains : The first thing what I did was remove heavy and dark curtains and replace with light weight, sheer fabrics and neutral colors to let the light in. You can try roman shades and blinds too.
            Swap in Glass Door : Second, I replaced my Interior doors with glass. You could do that with the front door too. If you feel privacy is an issue then, you can always go for a frosted or a tinted glass.
            Mirror Mirror on the Wall : Third, came the mirror. I wanted a large mirror with a slimmer frame. This would let light in and reflect it at the same time look less chunky.
            Rug in Natural light : Next, I covered my dark floor with a light coloured rug. The floor has a large surface area which can help reflect and maximize natural light.

Don`t forget about comfort! I bought a comfortable mattress and a nice bed frame (reviews are here https://sleepmentor.net/serta-perfect-sleeper-mattress-review/https://sleepmentor.net/serta-perfect-sleeper-mattress-review/)
            Houseplants : Last, I got some houseplants for balcony and my living room. They look lovely! Breathing some fresh god quality air now.
            Hope this helps:)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.