Making a Rental feel like Home???

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Making a Rental feel like Home???

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jordan Wheatley
    Participant

Hey Mr. Kate!! I am moving into my first townhouse next semester, woohoo!!! And I want to make it feel super “homey” but I’m not sure how to do it. I don’t know if we will be living here for more than a year so I don’t really want to make any time consuming changes. I’m just having a hard time deciding how much to put into decorating because all in all it will be the place where I spend most of my time. Please help!!! (Its pretty outdated and has some unique features.)

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Hey Jordan,

Congrats on the new place! That is always an exciting change. I definitely understand the odd juggle of wanting to decorate and make a place yours completely, but also knowing that it’s temporary and you’ll have to move out!

I suggest focusing on pieces and things that can be easily installed or added, and taken away (like wall art, throw pillows, rugs, etc.), which end up usually being the pieces that take a room and make it a home anyways. When picking these items ā€” if you don’t already have them ā€” try to find designs and pieces that you can see yourself bringing with you to your next place and beyond that. It is less intimidating to buy for a temporary home if you know that the items you fill it with are coming with you after!

If you still want to fill in your place a little more ā€” like if there is a corner that is just begging for a floor lamp ā€” go the thrift route and find unique pieces for affordable prices. If you’re not planning on keeping the item, it doesn’t have to be perfect! And, you can always sell it or donate it back to the thrift store when you move!

Hope this helps! Have fun decorating your place!

XOXO,

Mr. Kate & Team

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.