Mixing Light and Dark Furniture

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Mixing Light and Dark Furniture

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kirstyp
    Participant

Hey Mr. Kate and everyone!

I asked this question on YouTube and it was suggested I ask on the forums for a more in depth reply so here I am! I have inherited a set of lovely antique furniture in a dark reddish colour, halfway between Joslyn’s bed and floor in the OMG We’re Coming Over episode. My furniture right now is mainly white and light wood such as beech so I’m a bit stumped as to how to combine the two which one or two dark pieces to each room. When I searched for images the majority of the photos were kind of Scandinavian style which I find a bit cold and stark, I’m hoping for more of a hotel vibe with a cosy feel. I’m moving soon and starting to think about how everything will fit together so any advice would be much appreciated!

Kirsty

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Hey Kirsty!!

Mixing different wood tones can be an interesting design challenge, but I think you can totally make it work! The key element to a hotel vibe, like the one I went for in Andrea’s bedroom, is choosing one main color for the room and then adding in different textures, to add a cozy, chic vibe. With the different woods you have going on, white is always a good option for a main color, but the nice thing about wood is that is complements many color choices!!

I also recommend embracing metallics. Except, instead of mixing metallics (as I’m known to love doing) choose one and stick with it. This will tie your different wood furnitures together and give that hotel luxe feeling that you’re desiring.

I hope this helps!! Feel free to ask more questions if you want/ need!

XO,

Kate

andrea cusack
        Participant

That is always possible, but themeing your furniture with different colors do not give the right blend specially if your are design conscious. Just like mine, I ruined this furniture http://www.javateakoutdoorfurniture.com/products/dining-tables/, I ordered it natural brown color then have it repaint with dark and it does not give right view with my light room layout.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.