Newbie Interior Designer!

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Newbie Interior Designer!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Denah Rooks
    Participant

Hi Mr.Kate and crew!!! I’m 20, love interior decorating, and I have no schooling in design. I just have a passion and vision to create, and surprisingly someone saw my potential! I have my first client, two 12 year old girls, two rooms. They just moved in so it’s a blank canvas to work with. But I’m a little lost on prices. I want to be fair to the client and myself when budgeting, but I’m not sure how to do it since I’m so new at this. Any advice on prices would be great!!! And I love you so much, BIG BIG fan <3

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Hey Denah!

Thanks for posting!! Congrats on your interior designing gig!

I find that when calculating prices, it’s easiest to make a spreadsheet of everything you will need to buy for the room and the approximate costs of each item. This helps the client visualize the expenses instead of just seeing a lump sum, which can seem daunting. Also, since you’re calculating with approximate costs, there is always the possibility that you will spend less if you find good deals or thrifted items!

It’s important to value your time, as well. Whether you charge an overall fee, or an hourly rate, make sure to charge for your time!

Good luck with the rooms!!

XOXO,

Kate

Denah Rooks
        Participant

Thank you so much for the advice!!! It was extremely helpful. I admire you so much and  your design work, and I’m so happy you replied! I’m so stoked to be starting something that I absolutely LOVE. I hope I can meet you one day!

-Denah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.