Paint Color Troubles + More

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate Paint Color Troubles + More

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lauren deer
    Participant

Hi Kate! (or anyone else willing to help)

I’m having a few problems with my room and need some serious advice. For a bit of background, I am not staying in this room permanently. Repainting walls, putting new nails into the wall and most likely painting furniture is out of the question. Thank you for listening!:

To start, I absolutely hate the color of my walls. The color is “Chinese Jade”, or http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/3d5111de03d01d61_4-7879/modern-paint.jpg with a beige rug floor. I have no idea how to style around either of these and need some serious help.

There are also mitch-matching woods in my room. Closet doors, door, and mirror, dresser, and windows are a darker wood (Mahogany or Oak) while my desk, bookshelf and bed frame are lighter wood colors (think Birch) and my bedside table is painted white. The mismatching colors bother me, I don’t have enough more to completely buy new frames for whatever pieces. To rub salt in the wound, I have brown shades for the “brown” window sills. They are pull down honeycomb shades that are a solid brown color.

My bedsheets are white with a lavender duvet cover. . The room colors I were going for in the beginning were lavender/white/green/blue/grey but after living with it like how it is now for a few years, it is safe to say I am sick of it.

Basically, I’m asking for advice on what to do. Should I put down a few rugs to cover the beige floor? What should I do about the different woods? I have been considering going for a 50 Shades of Green but would just like some general advice on what to do. Thanks!

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Hey Lauren!!

Thought I haven’t lived with that color green for the past few years, I really like that color! I see how, with the white and lavender and different wood accents, your room might not have turned out like you want. But!! More than that, I see opportunity!

The colors (minus the purple bedding) you have lend themselves perfectly to one of my favorite design looks right now ā€” the Jungalow!! See these pictures for reference/ inspiration:

The great thing about this Jungalow design is that it very much favors the green and different shades of wood that you already have going on. Throw in some textured accent rugs, a cool metallic lamp (maybe this pendant one that we used in the Dorm Decor, 3 Ways video?!) and live plants (my absolute favorite design touch) to make the space fresh and lively!

As for that bedside table, you can keep it white and add some small succulents, antiqued gold accents, and maybe a DIY Concrete Lamp, or you can take a note from the first picture and paint it the same color as your walls! If you feel like it stands out too much, a touch of monochrome could take care of that, and bring some modernism into the mix.

I hope all of this helps!!

XOXO,

Kate

lauren deer
        Participant

Hi, Kate! Thank you so much for the advice. I don’t know if its often people reply to your replies but I only think it would be polite to show you how you have helped me!

I did a DIY collage painting on top of this old one that clashed with everything. I based it around a new duvet cover that I have ordered and is being shipped (something like in picture #2).

I am doing a room cleanout, basically. Rearranging my closet, going through clothes and placing them, shoes for the season, etc etc. I am kind of going for a minimalist/jungalow thing seeing as I like both of the styles. I am planning on going thrift-store shopping/yard sale/whatever to get some new, fun rugs (for very low $$ as I don’t have much aha). And, I am planning on getting some live plants. Currently though, I have some fake succulents to tide me over until.

Thank you so much for the help and pictures! I promise to provide just as many when the room is in its desired shape šŸ™‚

Mr. Kate
          Keymaster

Lauren!!

I’m so glad your room is coming together and that you’re excited about it! Thrift store shopping is the best way to redo your room without wrecking your budget, annnnnd you can find such unique treasures! And you know how I feel about plants!

I’m so excited for you, and beyond happy that I was able to help!! Can’t wait to see the pictures when it’s all done!

XOXO,

Kate

James Delvalle
            Participant

Nice pictures!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.