The 1st Apartment

Home Forums Ask Mr. Kate The 1st Apartment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Josh Bensink
    Participant

Hello Creative Weirdos, Mr.Kate, and the Creative Team!

Very soon, I will be living in my first home – an apartment I rent where I go to school. This is the first time I will ever have my  own room and bathroom and I could not be more excited. I love to DIY and decorate spaces, hence why I am a part of this family, but am having a very hard time figuring out my bedroom color pallet, theme, and overall mood I hope to convey. The only thing I have for my room is this rusty-orange bed spread my mom so graciously purchased for me. While I do love the design, it is very loud and patterned – making it a struggle to figuring out how I can make use of the rest of the space. I was considering using concretes and mixed metals/fabrics, a wanderlust theme, or a minimalist idea; but I am really open to any ideas at this point. I have searched to the ends on Pinterest, YouTube (holla at Mr.Kate’s OMG We Bought A House, DIY videos, and Interior Design playlist – also go subscribe because #MrKateOneMillion), and the internet but haven’t found anything that really inspires me yet. I am really looking for help here and will appreciate anything I can get! Much love to the creative weirdo family!

Josh B.

Bedding

Mr. Kate
      Keymaster

Josh!!

SWEETNESS!! Welcome!! Happy to have you!! I’m so excited that you’re starting your journey as a creative weirdo! <3 <3 <3

Your instincts sound spot on with the concrete and mixed metals. I would definitely stick with aged or dull finishes to the metals because you’re right, the bedspread is loud.

Some advice on that — try using just the comforter, not the pillowcases. Adding dark gray pillowcases instead the patterned ones that came with the set will give your bed a sophisticated, designed, hotel vibe. Then, try plucking out more of the neutral tones from the bedspread to use as accents in the rest of your room. This will all enhance the sophistication of the space.

Good luck! Have fun! And please post pics when you’re done!

XOXO,

Kate

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here or register a new account.